Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Strong in Joy



     Joy.  We want it.  We crave it.  How do we get it?  How do we become strong in it?

     I've been considering this question the last several weeks and there were three things that stood out to me.  This is by no means a comprehensive study on joy.  It's just me sharing my perspective and what makes a real difference in my life.

     1.  I grow stronger in joy with thankfulness.
          I've written about this before.  It was transforming in my marriage and has benefited me in many ways through the years.  In a moment of anger, despair, discouragement or self-pity, I can't simply will myself to feel differently.  I can't force joy.  I can however choose to give thanks.  Always.  Every time.  There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.  And when I have a thankful heart, there is a softening.  A thawing.  And that makes way for joy to come in.  If we are in Christ, there is always a place for thanksgiving in abundance.  In my life, thankfulness and joy always go hand in hand.

2.  I grow stronger in joy with truth.

            This one has been a little tricky for me.  I don't know about you, but I greatly struggle with self-doubt.  At any given time I'm pretty sure someone must be upset with me. And to be honest, sometimes people just aren't very careful with what they say.  Sometimes it just hurts.  There's nothing like chewing on a stinging comment to zap all traces of joy from your heart.  But if we want to be strong in joy we have to fight for that truth, even if it's only in our own hearts and minds.  This has been a recent battle for me.  I'm realizing more and more how often I let myself dwell on something that simply is not true.  I'm not a horrible person.  I'm not a bad mom.  I'm not failure.  And most of all, Jesus loves me.  Personally.  Not because He has to.  But because He does.  We cannot let lies steal our joy.  What a waste that is!

3.  I grow strong in joy with perspective.
   
          This world is not my home.  One day soon I will stand before Christ.  The dishes, the sleepless nights, the bitter words, the unfulfilled dreams, the bills, the bickering and on and on won't matter to me at all.  Today is a gift.  Tomorrow may not come.  If I'm given seventy more years of earthly toil then I pray I use them for His glory, because nothing else will matter.  My joy is dependent on this perspective.  I know what awaits me.  At least I know a glimmer.  And it's worth being excited for!  If this life was it, I don't think real joy would be possible.


When my perspective is right, and my thoughts are controlled by truth, and my heart is overflowing with thanks, joy follows.  I want to be strong in joy.  I want you to be strong.  Let's do this!  Be strong!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment