Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2016

November Reading Wrap-Up



       I'm so excited for my first actual wrap-up!!!  It won't be too official, just thoughts.  And it will only include books I actually completed!

       The first book I read was "Thursday Next- First Among Sequels"


        It is the fifth in the Thursday Next series by Japser Fforde.  This series was one of the first recommendations from my good friend Anne.  These books are beyond anything I could have ever imagined.  Time travel, book travel, and so much more.  Easily the most creative (borderline crazy?) author I've ever read.  There is some swearing and definitely not written from a Christian perspective so keep that it mind. 

     The next book was  "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.


    This was a re-read from around eight years ago.  People seem to have very polarizing responses to this one.  I love it.  It's not Narnia in any way, shape or form, but I can still find love in my heart for something different.  It's very "spacey", so don't expect anything different.  I just love how Lewis thinks.  Even when I disagree with him, it's fascinating to watch his imagination.

      The next book I read was "Crosstalk" by Connie Willis.


  This was a "day and a halfer",  which is a term I use when I get snagged in a book, read late into the night and am usually finished before my head hits the pillow the next night.  Funny thing is,  I really can't predict when it's going to hit.  Sometimes I just adore a book, but I still plod along at a responsible pace.  Sometimes I'm just overtaken.  This was one of those for me.

   I love Connie Willis. (Another fabulous Anne introduction!).  I can hardly even explain why other than I always care deeply about her characters and I desperately want to know how things will turn out for them.  "Crosstalk" is about a girl who decides the best way to progress in her relationship with her boyfriend is to get the newest technology which allows you to actually feel what your partner is feeling.  As you can imagine, things don't exactly go as planned.  As someone who panics at the sight of a new text, I was amazed how intrigued I was by this over connected plot line.  Then again, it was Connie Willis.  There was some swearing in the book.

       Next was "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White.



  This was a re-re-re-read originally from the third grade.  This time around I was reading it aloud to my little girls, Ella and Esther.  This one is simply a delight.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll never look at a spider web the same! 



    I had watched the show previous to reading this and was surprised how closely it followed the book.  It is written by a former midwife in the slums of London in the fifties.  Birth is one of my favorite subjects ever, so needless to say, I loved it.  It was beautiful, horrific, devastating and inspiring.  Definitely not for the faint of heart.  *The chapter titled "Cable Street" is incredibly graphic in it's description of a prostitute's life and I would strongly advise skipping it entirely.*  

      Next up was "The Searchers" by Alan LeMay


          This was the first western I had ever read and I'm afraid this one didn't hit the mark for me.  I picked this up because I remember watching the old John Wayne movie on tv at my grandparent's house when I was a kid and thinking it was a tremendous story.  Mostly it was just violent and sad.  I can take some violence.  And I can take quite a bit of sadness.  This just wasn't a good fit for me.  (For my friends who love their westerns, I promise to try again, and this time I'll come to you for some recommendations before stabbing in the dark!)

       Next was "Age of Myth" by Michael J. Sullivan


      This was a "day and a halfer" AND a blind grab from the library "new books" section.  I won't do a very good job with a description so here is the excerpt from the book flap!


"Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between men and those they thought were gods changes forever. Now, only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer. Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom. And Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people.

The Age of Myth is over; the time of rebellion has begun."

      This was a big swing for me and I knew it was likely going to be a strike out, but unexpectedly this connected with me in a big way.  And like almost all "day and a halfers" I can't really even say why.  I liked the story.  It gripped me.  It was interesting without being too weird.  It was intense and sorrowful without being depressing.  It was something new that I really enjoyed.  

      Last but not least was "Growing Beautiful Food" by Matthew Benson which I already reviewed previously here.


      In a nutshell, its beautiful.  It makes you want to eat salad for every meal and believe that chickens are probably what's missing from your life.

    So that was my month's reading.  I can't imagine you would feel the same way about all of these books that I did but that's one of the beauties of books.  They reach us all in different ways.  I'd love to hear what you've been reading!!!


     



1 comment:

  1. Yay for reading wrap ups!!! Well written!!! (Why do I even blog when you're out here writing so much more beautifully than me?!?)

    ReplyDelete