Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

March Reading Wrap-Up



Well....... March was not much of a reading month for me!  I have many books started, but not many were completed.  I kind of got swept up in the Norwex consulting wind this month which has been a fun and crazy ride, but the time that usually goes into reading was replaced with research.  Nevertheless, here is what I did read this month!

#1~ The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1) by Maryrose Wood


           This was recommended to me in my search for new ideas for my girls to read.  It's about a young woman who is hired as the governess for three young children that have been raised by wolves.  It was a mix of creative, sometimes predictable and slightly dark.  It definitely had the quality that makes you go, "Hmmm.  I wonder what it would be like to train children that have been raised by wolves.  Pretty sure I'd like to try it!".  It wasn't the best children's book I've ever read, but I want to continue in the series and see what happens!

#2~ No Graven Image By Elisabeth Elliot


      To be honest, this wasn't my favorite book to read.  I found that I prefer biographies or autobiographies over fiction about missionaries.  That being said, this book has stuck with me and has greatly challenged my thinking several times.  Elisabeth Elliot wrote this not from a place of creative inspiration but from a desire to communicate a message about the life of a missionary that is not commonly expressed.  I think it is very potent and I'm glad I read it.

#3~ Mistborn: The Final Empire  by Brandon Sanderson


          You guessed it.  Another fantasy.  Another 5/5 stars from me!  This book came highly recommended by a friend that saw I was enjoying different fantasy books.  Then after hearing me talk about them, one of my best friends got me the trilogy for my birthday!!!  These books were very different from anything I've read before.  I think that's the fascinating thing about fantasy is it gives you a whole new world to look at.  After a time though, they can begin to look alike.  This one looked completely different.  You know how most fantasies are about the good guys fighting against the bad guys so something really, really bad doesn't happen?  In this book, the bad thing happened.  Now it's centuries later and a rebellion is rising.  I had a blast with this book!  It is very dark and violent so if you like feel good books, this one isn't for you.

         I'm super excited about this next month of reading!  There is a readathon at the end of the month and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate, but I'm excited!!!!!!!!!



1 comment: